2/20/2012

The Hunger

I'm writing this comfortably ensconced in my sofa. Don't get me wrong, I'm no couch potato. Indeed, I'm working from my supine position today only because I ran the Brighton Half-Marathon yesterday and find that my hips and glutes are unwilling to do much more than a few gentle yoga stretches and a stroll in the neighbourhood.



A light stiffness is nothing unusual after 13.1 miles of running and I'm glad to say that the side effects of over 2 hours of pavement pounding are a lot less noticeable than they after my last half-marathon. What plagues me today is hunger, the kind of piercing, nagging, impossible to ignore hunger that will not be quelled by an apple and that demands to be addressed every 20 minutes. I'm sure this will eventually stop. In the meantime, bring on the healthy food!



The run itself was lovely: long stretches on the waterfront, bright and crisp Spring weather, efficient organisation. I especially want to thank the lovely people at Zest for giving me a place to run in this event. It was a really good aspect of my training towards the Brighton Marathon which I will be running for Breakthrough Breast cancer in less than two months. They also made me the best cup of tea I've ever had after the run.


If I have one criticism, it's that the event was oversubscribed, meaning that it took about 5 miles before I stopped being stalled and elbowed by other runners. One of them was Katie Price who, thankfully, lagged about half an hour behind me. Who would want to be photographed, sweating along Katie Price? Not me. They also accidentally extended the total distance of the course to 13.42 miles! What with all the apps available to plan a course nowadays, you would think that kind of mistake could be avoided. Oh well, it all goes towards my training.
In pain: Katie Price struggles to complete the Brighton Half Marathon after experiencing knee pain in the last mile
Katie Price in pink and in pain


Next event? The Action Duchenne Love Run 2012 which was rescheduled because of snow a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to a light 10k at the weekend. If the monstrous appetite is still raging, I'll make a special request for a post-run pancake breakfast!

No comments: